RUMNET is implementing a project dubbed: RESPONSIBLE MEDIA COVERAGE OF ELECTION 2016 IN THE NORTHERN REGION.
The purpose of the project is to foster responsible media discourse and coverage of campaigning and voting in the forthcoming elections.
Why is the Project Relevant
Elections correspond to periods of heightened media coverage and reporting. With each political party wanting to lead the country, these transitional times are often wrought with competitive provocative language, rising tensions, and occasional political violence, sometimes even resulting in violent conflict.
What Solutions is RUMNET Offering
Enhancing the knowledge and skills of 40 broadcast journalists of 20 radio stations in responsible election reporting across the two regions of Northern Ghana.
Enhancing the knowledge and skills of 30 radio political talk-show hosts and newspaper review hosts of 13 radio stations in hosting of responsible and instructive political discourse across the two regions of Northern Ghana.
What Are We Doing to Contribute to Peaceful Elections
- Trained 40 broadcast Journalists of 20 radio stations in issue-based election reporting and agenda setting for peaceful discourse.
- Trained 40 broadcast Journalists of 20 radio stations in security-sensitive reporting.
- Trained 30 radio political talk-show hosts and newspaper review hosts in constructive moderation and issue-based discourse.
- Published Messages of peace and tolerance before, during and after election 2016 in 2 editions of The ADVOCATE newspaper.
- Conducted 3 Public Outreach and Communications campaigns on 4 radio stations and through one seminar.
Increased public awareness and understanding of the need for tolerance, non violent election campaigns and voting through responsible media coverage.